Thursday 19 April 2012

March and April in the Garden

The rest of the non-specific areas of the garden – i.e. “the garden” – continue to delight and defeat me in equal measure.  It’s lucky I’m not a fastidious gardener (except when it comes to things you can eat) as I’m sure the garden would drive such a person to distraction.  The minutiae of it are probably what delight me most.  Buds opening, leaves pushing up through the apparently unyielding earth, tiny spring flowers, insects buzzing around and doing their thing.  And the big picture is wonderful, too – it makes a great vista, its basic shape is good and it was well planned (not by me, I hasten to add!).  The little meadow bit at the top, with a mown path winding through the apple trees is my addition, and something I’m particularly pleased with, but most of the beds are proper shockers.  Unfortunately for the garden, but probably (hopefully) fortunately for the local wildlife, I find I am happy to live with this state of affairs.  So long as I can hold back the chaos from encroaching on the vegetable patch, I’m happy.

Best to let it speak for itself (you might notice that a lot of the so-called flower photos which follow are - ahem - actually weeds.  Let's pretend they're not, shall we....?).

Primroses

Pink primrose 

Bumbler, pollinating Lungwort

Orange-tip rescued from flappy panic in Greenhouse

Waterlily coming back to life after wintry dozing

Wisteria bud looking nice and plump, but possibly a little transparent.
Could have been frosted.  Only time will tell...

Trickle trickle


Hellebores, almost finished for this year - just in time to make way for Peonies

Buds on the Russet apple tree, poised to burst into blossom


A dandelion, which never got to open fully (mwaaahahaha)

Damn, missed this one.  Pretty, though...

And nice for the honey bees.  Shall leave them a few as penance for bee murder (see a previous blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment